Sunday, November 7, 2010

SMS- Ginger Custard Pumpkin Pie

Sweet Melissa Sunday! I just had to bake along with Debbie of Every Day Blessings! Debbie hosted this week and what a great choice - a Ginger Custard Pumpkin Pie.

I am late posting today but in my defense, I had to work this weekend and also baked my baby sugar pumpkins last night to make my own pumpkin puree. The pie just finished baking and I had a warm sliver so I knew what I was typing about =). YUM!



Isn't the pumpkin puree pretty with little brown flecks from being baked?


I used a pie crust recipe from the Pie and Pastry Bible by Rose Beranbaum for the crust. I LOVE her cookbooks too. Butter ready to go into the food processor with the pastry flour.


While my crust was chilling, we simmered the crushed cinnamon sticks and chopped, fresh ginger.


Okay, maybe I can share a boo-boo. Everyone needs a laugh once in a while. I was buzzing along, straining my ginger and cinnamon pieces out of the cream BEFORE adding to the whipped eggs and egg yolks, Melissa says to do the straining after but I just couldn't, THEN Guess WHAT?
I poured the custard into the pie shell and put the pie into the oven. No pumpkin puree. Panic sets in the minute I leave the kitchen. I run back, grab the pie out of the oven, pour the custard out and my pie shell starts to slide and cave. I whip the pumpkin puree into the custard sauce, re-direct the shell as best I can and put back into the oven, hoping for the best. So here we are, looking pretty good for what COULD have happened. =)
Thank you Debbie for hosting this week. Go see Debbie's site here for the recipe and to check out her delicious pie. Also check out the other SMS baker's pies if you really want to get hungry enough to bake one of your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment